The tinnitus evaluation is in addition to the basic hearing evaluation. It consists of several tests
- High-frequency audiometry-Conventional audiometry tests frequencies (pitches) between 250-8000 Hz. High frequency audiometry tests frequency from 12000-20000 Hz. Testing at these high ranges are important because hearing damage at these frequencies may be related to the cause or perception of the tinnitus
- Pitch Matching- Matching the frequency of the tinnitus
- Loudness Matching-Matching the loudness of the tinnitus
- Minimum Masking Levels-Determines the lowest level a narrow band noise can “cover” the tinnitus (i.e. render it inaudible).
- Residual Inhibition-Measures the change in tinnitus loudness after exposure of specifically determined sound for one minute in duration.